We are based in Cape Town and arrange registration of vehicles only in Cape Town. Enquire about our other services that we provide nationally.

How to register a Namibia vehicle in South Africa Yzerfontein

Document Relieve – The How to register a Namibia vehicle in South Africa Yzerfontein Experts

We manage your vehicle administration so that you can focus on your business.

5 + 3 =

How to register a Namibia vehicle in South Africa Yzerfontein

How to register a Namibia vehicle in South Africa Yzerfontein

Do you need assistance with importing a car to Cape Town, South Africa?

We understand that your vehicles are an asset and need to be correctly licenced when it comes over the border. You can even submit your vehicle licence renewal application with us online and without ever having to leave the office. 


You will need to ensure that you have all the supporting documents, SARPCO, LOA, ITAC, SAD500, original registration document from the country. All Foreign vehicles must be registered in the current owners name for two years and more before it can be imported with the intention of registering in SA. It then has to be in your name for two years before it can be sold.

How to register a Namibia vehicle in South Africa Yzerfontein

What We Do

We offer a range of administration and licensing services for your company’s vehicle fleet in a simple step-by-step process:


Contact us today to set up a free consultation. Our experts are waiting for your call.


After working through all your vehicles’ documents, we will be able to assess all the services your company needs.


Leave it to us. Have the peace of mind that your staff and vehicles are protected. Our team is taking care of everything

How to register a Namibia vehicle in South Africa Yzerfontein

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I import a second-hand or used vehicle?

You can only import a second-hand vehicle into South Africa if you have been granted a permit to do so.

The importation of used vehicles is restricted to protect the local motor vehicle manufacturing industry. Permits are only issued under specifically defined circumstances.

Mainly returning South African nationals and immigrants who have permanent residence are permitted to bring vehicles registered in their names into the country.

Other cars that may be imported include racing cars, vintage passenger vehicles, specially designed vehicles and inherited vehicles. More information is available in the import guidelines on vehicles and components(link is external) compiled by International Trade Administration Commission (ITAC).

What you should do

  1. Before you  import a used vehicle, goods vehicle or trailer  you must first obtain a letter of authority from the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications (NRCS).
  2. Complete the Application for import of second hand or used passenger vehicle(link is external) (IE462)
  3. If you are a South African citizen, submit the following documents:
    • identity  document or passport
    • letter from employer confirming permanent employment abroad and reflecting period of employment (salary advices, payslips, job offers, job contracts, tax returns, work permits, etc. are not considered proof of employment)
    • a certified copy of the official foreign vehicle registration certificate
  4. If you are a bona fide immigrant, submit the following documents:
    • a copy of your South African permanent residence certificate
    • a copy of your foreign passport (page with photo and details)
    • a copy of your foreign motor vehicle registration certificate
    • proof of study or research to be concluded where applicable.

How long does it take

It may take up to five days to complete the process once all required documents are received.

How much does it cost

ITAC does not charge service fees but you will have to pay customs duty at South African Revenue Service (SARS). Customs duty is calculated as a percentage of the value of the goods (set in the schedules to the Customs and Excise Act). For more info on SARS customs duty, visit the SARS website.

Forms to complete

Application for import of second hand or used passenger vehicle(link is external) (IE462)

How do i register an imported car in South Africa?

If you want to register an imported vehicle in South Africa, you must do so at your relevant registering authority.

The following documents are required:

  • eNaTIS form (MVR1A or RLV);
  • RSA identity document;
  • If you do not have an RSA identity document:
    • Identity document issued by a foreign country or
    • Traffic register number certificate
  • Documents relating to the registration and licensing of the motor vehicle outside the RSA.
  • Letter of authority (LOA)(link is external) from the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications

If you want to register the vehicle in a company name, you must have:

  • A certificate of incorporation as issued in terms of the Companies Act or;
  • A certificate of name change as issued in terms of the Companies Act.
  • If you want to register the vehicle in the name of a closed corporation, you must have:
    • A founding statement issued in terms of the Close Corporations Act or;
    • A certificate of name change issued in terms of the Close Corporations Act.

Before the vehicle can be registered, you must get a South African Police Service (SAPS) clearance certificate. This is only issued after the registering authority has issued you with a referral and registration certificate.

The Customs and Excise Division of the South African Revenue Service (SARS) will provide the required proof of compliance with their regulations and procedures. You are advised to contact SARS for further information.

How to register a foreign car in South Africa?

What Documents Do I Need?

  • A copy of the photo page of your Passport
  • A copy of the vehicles licence document (the V5)
  • A copy of the Import Permit

Letter of Authority

A Letter of Authority is required to import the following types of vehicles:

  • Passenger vehicles – Including: cars, 4x4s, motorcycles and busses
  • Goods Vehicles – Including vans and trucks
  • Trailers
  • Specialist vehicles – Such as agricultural vehicles, mobile cranes etc…

To obtain a Letter of Authority you will need to apply to the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications (NRCS) using an LA01 form

A non-refundable fee is payable to NRCS when applying for a letter of authority. This fee can vary dependent on both vehicle type and age. For passenger vehicles and motorcycles manufactured and registered outside of South Africa the application fee will be between ZAR300 – ZAR1800. Further instructions on how to pay this fee can be found on the LA01 form linked above.

Documents required to export vehicle from South Africa

Due to the criminal and safety risks that came with South African motor vehicle exportation, taking effect in 1999, motor vehicle must now go through police clearance, as indicated and required by the South African Regional Police Chiefs Cooperation Organisation (SARPCCO). South African car owners who intend to export their car, are therefore required to obtain a Police Clearance Certificate before exporting a car from SARPCCO countries – Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

You might be thinking ‘what an unnecessary hassle’. But in actual fact, the clearance certificate is your safety net when it comes to proving that your car is not a stolen and illegally-registered vehicle. It is therefore issued by a qualified SAPS officer appointed by the clearance officer.

Just like import control, the role of export control is to regulate health, environmental, security, safety and technical standards, emitted by domestic laws and International Agreement. Export control measures are restricted to people under the appropriate World Trade Organization (WTO) Agreements.

When exporting a car outside of South Africa, enforcement and inspections are conducted to ensure that the registered car owners have complied with the conditions stated in their permits to export, Regulation provisions and to detect contraventions of the Act. The advantaged of export permits for export control is that it helps regulate the outflow of strategically-natured goods, smuggled goods or stolen goods.

Export guidelines and policies have been compiled by the International Trade Administration Commission (ITAC). The export ‘help guide’ provides people with export control measures. In terms of the ITAC Act, if you are planning to export your car, you need to apply for an Export Permit for Motor Vehicles. The processing time is generally 2 working days and supporting documents may be required.

How to register a Namibia vehicle in South Africa Yzerfontein EXPERTS

WE SPECIALISE IN How to register a Namibia vehicle in South Africa Yzerfontein

How to register a Namibia vehicle in South Africa Yzerfontein

Services We Offer

These are just a few of the vehicle and licensing services we offer. We charge the same flat hourly rate for each service.


Assistance in getting a new number plate manufactured for your trailers, motorbikes, vehicles etc. We can apply for personalised licence plates or specific numbers on your behalf.


We can handle your application for a change of vehicle ownership. We will also handle the registration of any new vehicle purchased or settled with a Finance Institution.


Simply get in touch with us online or give us a call and we will be able to handle your vehicle licence renewal on your behalf from start to finish. We will manage all the admin relating to the submission and submit on your behalf.


We will arrange and take vehicles on behalf of owners for:

  • Roadworthy testing (including Dekra certifications)
  • Police clearances on vehicles
  • DataDot fittings on-site or at our registered fitment centre
  • Acquiring engine clearance certifications


  • Transferring vehicle ownership out of your name after you have sold your car
  • Registering a vehicle you have just bought
  • Licensing and registering a newly inherited vehicle
  • Assistance with importing and exporting your vehicles
  • Business registration certificates
  • Temporary permit application to transport an unlicensed vehicle from point A to B

How to register a Namibia vehicle in South Africa Yzerfontein

Trust Our Google Reviews

× Chat With Us Available on SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday